Filing VA Claims

If you’re thinking of filing a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs for disability compensation, here are three simple steps to follow that will facilitate the process. Think of them as the Three Cs — consult, collect and contact.

Step 1: Consult With Your National Service Officer.

Talk with your National Service Officer about the condition for which you are considering filing a claim. If, as a result of your discussion with the NSO, the claim appears warranted, go to:

Filing VA Claims 

Step 2: Collect Documentation.

Gather the following documents to support your claim:

Service medical records
Private physician’s records
Applicable photographs
DD Form 214
Marriage certificate
Birth certificates of children
Copies of dependents’ Social Security cards
After assembling these records and forms, take . . .

Step 3: Contact Your NSO, Again.

Discuss with the service officer your findings and what more, if anything, needs to be done to document your claim.

Planning on transitioning from military life to the civilian world?

AMVETS is here to help. We provide a number of resources and informational materials to point transitioning service members in the right direction. Transition Assistance

How can I find my local Service Officer?

By downloading the latest contact list, please see below for the download link.

Having trouble finding your Service Officer?

Please contact Derrick Williams via email at dwilliams -at- amvetsnsf -dot- org or via phone at (301) 459-6181 Ext: 4071

Important Note: You do not need to be a member of AMVETS to receive free assistance from our service officers. But please know we are able to provide this valuable service because of our members and generous donors. Please consider paying it forward for the next generation of veterans.

AMVETS National Service Department

The mission of the Service Department is to provide services to our veterans and their families. We do this using a cadre of AMVETS Service Officers, State Department of Veteran Affairs employees, and County Veteran Service Officers.

You will find them listed, alphabetically by state, and then alphabetically by city, in the following directory. They are there for you! Use their knowledge to your benefit. We utilize the State Department of Veteran Affairs staff in Idaho, Nebraska, and North Dakota.

We do not maintain service offices in the following locations: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, or any US Territories. Please submit all corrections to Derrick Williams.

Download the entire list here: Service Officer Contact List  – PDF file (1 MB)

USAAHumanaLowesMilitary Hire.com Serve those who served
AMVETS Partner