Aug 30, 2018
Posting Expiration Date: Sep 30, 2018
Schedule Type: Full-Time
Department: Legal Services
Section: LEGAL SVCS Gen Lit Support&Ops
Location: NY-New York-4 Irving Pl Headquarters
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- Assist attorneys in the preparation of pending litigation actions; prepare draft pleadings and responses to discovery demands served on or by the Company.
- Draft discovery motions and Bills of Particulars; handle extensive document production and coordinate the preparation of information in an efficient and timely manner.
- Coordinate with and advise management personnel providing documents in response to discovery requests.
- Attend meetings with potential internal and external company witnesses to assist with the preparation of statements and affidavits.
- Analyze documents and catalog exhibits provided in response to discovery requests.
- Perform legal research and cite check briefs.
- Summarize and prepare indices of interrogatories and depositions, code documents, and organize and maintain case files.
- Monitor cases through Court Alert's Case Tracking System and handle other tasks related to litigation support.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Handle insurance coverage matters, including review of policies and contracts, corresponding with insurance carriers; preparation of legal documents including impleaders and declaratory judgments.
- Associate's Degree with a minimum of three years paralegal or legal experience.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of two years relevant legal experience
- High School Diploma/GED with 5 years paralegal or legal experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Paralegal Certificate or a degree in legal studies and experience in personal injury and/or property damage claims or lawsuits is preferred.
Required Work Experience
- Minimum 2-3 years paralegal or legal assistant experience
- Notary Public license preferred.
- Paralegal experience and a working knowledge of Company operations and the electric, gas and steam systems is desirable.
- Must be able to work well independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with document management or case management systems preferred. Knowledge of Law Manager would be a plus.
- Must be detail-oriented with good analytical skills and ability to efficiently handle multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Must have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and handle internal and external contacts professionally with tact and sensitivity.
- Must be disciplined and have excellent time management skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills as well as exemplary follow-up skills and ability to work effectively with employees at all levels.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound decisions.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines in a demanding high-volume environment.
- Must have a strong sense of accountability and responsibility, be a self-starter and able to multi-task and handle high volume.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- Must be able to participate in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
- For technical issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.